Air ducts are passageways that move cool and warm air throughout your house. Just like any other part of your HVAC system, they require regular cleaning and maintenance to ensure maximum efficiency. They should be cleaned and maintained professionally every 3 to 5 years. When was the last time you had your air ducts cleaned? Probably longer than it should have been. It collects more dust and pollutants than you can think of, so do not ignore it. How Often Should You Clean Your Air Ducts
Reasons To Clean The Air Ducts
Air ducts are a great place for dust, dirt, pollen, and other contaminants to hide in. If you smoke or have multiple pets in the house, you may need to have your vents cleaned more often, at least every three to five years.
Molds Or Musty Smell
Mold usually grows in humid, wet, and damp places. And when the air duct is not working efficiently, the place starts getting molded and damp. If you see any mold or smell a mustiness in the air, consider checking and cleaning the air duct immediately.
Insects start coming from the air leaks into your homes such as rodents, cockroaches, mice, cat fleas, bugs, centipedes, lizards, etc. All these insects are tiny and can get through small air leaks and make your house dirty and uncomfortable. They can also cause different types of diseases and viruses. Therefore, to get rid of them you need to get your air ducts cleaned. A trusted service provider can mend the mold by sanitizing it to kill the mold and help to prevent it from happening in the future.
Excess Dust Or Debris Build-Up
Another reason why you need to clean air ducts is that dust and debris build up over time in the ducts. If you notice excessive dust, soot, dirt, or rust building up, it means you need to get the air ducts cleaned. If you notice signs of rust or cracks developing, it’s time to get your air ducts cleaned. It is natural for dust and debris to buildup in the ducts when they are old and are being used too much for years.
Benefits Of Air Duct Cleaning
Experts say that air ducts should be cleaned after every 2 to 3 years to prevent many breakdowns and health problems. Below are some benefits of cleaning air ducts routinely.
- It results in a better and more reliable performance from your HVAC system.
- It prevents any potential breakdowns that would cost expensive repairs.
- It makes your system more energy efficient.
- As a result of the previous point, your energy bills are reduced.
- Your indoor air quality enhances.
- Cleaner air results in fewer allergy problems.
- Less dust distribution in your home makes it easier to clean.
How To Indicate Dirt In Air Ducts
- Open your vent covers and look inside for any dust or debris buildup
- Check if there is a thick or fuzzy coating of dust on the duct
- Pull out the air filter and check to see if the air filter is clogged with dust. If it is, then airflow is choked off, which lets more dust build up in the return ductwork.
- Open the furnace compartment to check the blower fan and motor for signs of dust build-up. The more dust you see, the bigger the problem you have.
- Look at the air conditioning coil. If the coil is dusty or has dust clinging immediately get your air ducts cleaned.
If you’re in need of any furnace repair or furnace replacement services, then feel free to contact All Climate Mechanical, the best HVAC contractors in Blaine MN, today.
Be the first to start a conversation